Catalina [and or "cimi"] is a word I've gotten VERY used to hearing about in my home.
"Mom, when I was in Catalina . . . "
"Well, in Catalina, we did . . "
"So did you happen to get my cimi photos developed yet?"
"When I grow up, I want to live in Catalina."
Peanut went for her sixth grade trip back in mid-January and well . . . . it's still like it was yesterday around our place.
this. kid. loved. Catalina.
So you can imagine the shrills of happiness & joy when I told Peanut we'd be heading there for the Catalina Island Conservancy Marathon!
[sad but true fact . . . ]
I have never been to Catalina Island. Crazy right?
Hong Kong - check
New Zealand - check
Great Wall of China - check
Catalina - [soon to be "check" 3/10]
I was stoked when they asked me to run this.
Things I know about this race:
* It's all nature-y and outdoors-y "rugged terrain". I can do rugged. Yes, I freaking love my treadmill but I loved my 50 mile "Man against Horse" trail run too.
* This is so going to be my chance to get that new PR.
* The elevation chart looks totally awesome. hills? what hills? What the hill?
roll down from mile 22.
* There will be plenty of "aid-stations" [they better have Twizzlers]
Anyone want to make a friendly wager? I'm calling this a "two fall mary". [I bet, I'll fall twice].
* That I am going to love this much needed break with my family.
* That WE get to meet Caroline on our way to Catalina.
Yes, that was on my 2012 bucket list. This woman owns a huge space in my heart. I am beyond thrilled to GET to meet her.
* * * *
I had a chance to visit with a lot of runners last weekend at Ragnar Del Sol. EVERY person I talked to about the Catalina Island Marathon said one of two things:
"That one is on my list of must do's".
"That is one of my most favorite marathons!"
I. cannot. freaking. wait.
Which marathon is on your "must do" list?